A Registered Dietitian is an expert in the field of food and nutrition. They are nationally credentialed after at least 5 years of education and training by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Registered Dietitians are required to complete regular education requirements and training programs to maintain their license and stay up-to-date on scientific research.
There are some nutritionists out there as well. Simply put, a nutritionist is anyone who is interested in nutrition – there is no requirement for education or training to be considered a nutritionist.
Every registered dietitian is a nutritionist, but not every nutritionist is a dietitian.
Why Should I See a Registered Dietitian?
There are many different reasons to see a dietitian, including:
- Food allergies or intolerances – following a restrictive diet can be tough. We can work together to find foods that will fit into your diet without having to sacrifice on taste or nutrition.
- Diabetes, cardiovascular problems, or high blood pressure – good nutrition is a critical component of managing your chronic illness. If you want to take less medication and improve your lab results, reach out today!
- Digestive issues – bloating, constipation, diarrhea, IBS, and acid reflux can all be prevented by what you eat. If you are struggling to get through each day because of your gastrointestinal symptoms, we can help you find out what your food triggers are to help manage or eliminate your symptoms.
- Weight Management – are you trying to lose or gain weight, but struggling with the best way to do it? Whether you’re just starting out or have hit a plateau, we can help you get closer to your goal weight.
- Pregnant or Trying To Get Pregnant – proper nutrition is important during pregnancy. We’ll make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you and your baby will need for a healthy pregnancy.
- Increased Longevity and Quality of Life – eating the right foods can help extend your life, give you more energy, make you stronger, and keep you healthy enough to do all your favorite activities.
- Practical Lifestyle Advice – no cookie-cutter plans here. Each nutrition plan is tailored to you and your lifestyle to help make implementation a breeze.
What should I expect at my appointment?
Registered Dietitians take an individualized approach to nutrition counseling. Each person is different and their journey to health and wellness will be tailored to them. We’ll start by reviewing your medical history, health problems and concerns, what you eat, what you think are “good foods” and “bad foods,” and your nutrition and lifestyle habits. From there, we will determine a specialized nutrition plan that works for you and helps you achieve your nutrition goals.
Following up is critical!
Changing your nutrition habits is a gradual process. Patience and consistency is key. We will modify your diet plan or approach based on your feedback, your diet analysis results, and how you’re feeling. Diet changes can be tricky, and we’re here to help you modify your diet and lifestyle with appropriate changes at every appointment so that you can meet your goals.